Friday, August 10, 2012

I'm going to Malawi

I pastor students, and I take the responsibility to show God's compelling love seriously. God's love compels us to stand against injustice, to bring peace in a violent world, and to see every single human being as created in the imago Dei.

As a means of helping students understand human dignity we participated in a 30 Hour Famine. I partook in a famine in High School, saw it is as a positive experience, so I thought we'd give it a try too. The purpose of the 30 Hour Famine is to go without food for 30 hours in order to gain some sort of an idea of what kids are experiencing all across the world. We also raise money through our efforts. These dollars are sent directly to families to provide means of sustenance and sustainability.

Our group set a pretty basic goal: we wanted to make sure 6 kids were fed and clothed for a year. As news about the famine effort spread throughout our church, everyone got behind our students. By the time all was said and done, we raised enough money for 33 kids to receive good news in the form of bread for a year. For that all we can say is thanks be to God.

In June I received a call from NCM with the invitation to join a team to go to Malawi in conjunction with World Vision to survey what is happening with the funds we raised from the famine. We would have the opportunity to meet families and children who are being given new life and hope. I spoke to my wife Nicole about it, called my boss to see what he thought, and in both instances the response was the same: "You're going, right?"It was a tone to say, if you don't go, you'd be ludicrous. Needless to say, I said I'm there.

Next Thursday, I will be off. I fly into Seattle to meet up with the team for a day of training at the World Vision headquarters. Then we will begin a 27 hour journey to Malawi. We will be there for 5 days. Check out the map below:


I must say I'm humbled by this opportunity to see what God is up to in a world where I am the alien and the stranger. Romans 8 has also been on my mind because I don't really know how to pray for what is ahead. But I do know "the Spirit helps us in our weakness. We do not know what we ought to pray for, but the Spirit himself intercedes for us with groans that words cannot express" (Rom 8:26). I pray that I may gain some semblance of solidarity with these people, in order to groan as they groan.

I'd love it if you'd be willing to pray along with me. Here are a few ways you:

Pray for the team, especially the students going along. The team consists of a couple of World Vision employees, 4 youth pastors, and 3 students. Pray the students are inspired to a life of passionate following Jesus and working for his redemption.

Pray for my family. Perhaps the most difficult part of this is that I will miss my family so much. Nicole and Britton will be busy the whole time, but leaving them for any period of time is never fun.

Pray for this part of the world. People are hungry and there is much suffering. We're there to see how people are finding avenues not only to get food but to have a consistent supply of food through farming and other work. Yet, the need is still great. We're there to assess how we can develop new ways to end hunger locally and abroad.


You can also keep up with the journey. Here is where you can follow Team Malawi: 
twitter: @30HF 
instagram: 30HF 


God's newness is breaking into this present world despite ourselves and our sinfulness. What a privilege is it to be a hand in the Kingdom of God.

No comments: