Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Open Up

The weekend before last, I had the privilege of taking the seniors of our student ministry for a get away trip to Chicago. We did what you do in Chicago.

Like going to Wrigley Field:


And eating at Lou Malnati's:



And observing the skyline from the top of the Hancock:


During our time in Chicago, we talked alot about the next step of their journeys, prayed together, and just relaxed without a rigid schedule. Our time in the city was awesome. But my bet is that all three of the guys would tell you it wasn't the best part of the trip. The best time of the trip would be worshipping with a small hispanic congregation in North Chicago, IL.

I have a friend from Seminary named Edward. Edward and I met in a graduate course that we took at Olivet. We both speak of it as one of the best courses we have ever taken. For any of you interested in taking a course on Pauline studies, do yourself a favor, find Troy Martin, and take the course with him. You will not regret it. Two years later, I was sitting in an NTS classroom and in walked Edward to the room.

Edward pastors a hispanic congregation in North Chicago, IL. When I began to plan this time away with our seniors, I wanted the experience to be more dynamic than simply going and consuming activity. In what I viewed as my last teaching opportunity with them, I wanted them to experience cross-cultural worship and a hospitality they have never seen before. What we ended up finding was a hospitality I had never seen before.

I had arranged with Edward that we would stay with a Belizean family from his congregation. Now I grew up only 9 miles away from the church, and it would have been very easy just to stay at my parent's house, go to church with them, and go back. We had even spent some time at my parent's house early that afternoon to rest some, and one of my students asked, "Hey why don't we just stay here." Again, I wanted them to have to have a different experience than watching movies and laying around.

On that Friday evening, we arrived at their house to drop off our things before we made our way to the church for service. Immediately, Mrs. Estrada asked us to come in a get something to eat. She had prepared for us lamb chops and oh my, they were fantastic. She said over and over to us, "You're very welcome here."

As soon as we walked into the church, we were made family. Folks came to us and welcomed us with a sincerity that I have seen as rare. One of the really neat things about their worship gatherings is that they take time to share a small meal together after the service. Even though there was a bit of a language barrier, we sat and talked with different people from the congregation for about an hour or so after the service. They made us tostadas (which were the truth). Though our language, our skin color, and our culture was different, we felt an incredible sense of belonging.

This was just the beginning. We went back and shared more time with the Estradas after church. The family dynamic was some quite foreign to us. The house consisted of Gregorio and Ada, the heads of the household, their sons, their son's wife, and a friend. Their sons, Greg and Albert, and both in their twenties. They both work, are in school, and contribute to the good of the household.

Perhaps the most profound thing about our time with them is that the next day would be their son Greg's birthday. The night before his mother mentioned that they were going to have a surprise party for him and she would like us to be a part of it. We said sure. The next day, early in the morning we there was a lot of commotion. We all slept in the basement, and at about 7:30 their son Albert woke us up to share in the surprise. They already had several friends over, and within a couple of minutes we were at Greg's bedroom door with his dad knocking on it. He knocked a few times, and out came Greg. We all then sang "Happy Birthday!"

Then there was the food. Belizean Tomalleys. They were big. And there were lots. Then came the Belizean horchata. We sat, ate, and shared conversation all morning.

I'd call it a picture of God's kingdom.

As we prepared to leave, Gregorio asked if he could pray for us as a we went on our way. We gathered in a circle and he prayed in spanish while his son Albert translated for us. It was one of the most open, graceful prayers of blessing I have ever heard.

I've never experienced strangers at a family birthday party. Culture has dictated that these times are sacred family times, and that there are limits to who can come. I left home at the age of 18, and haven't lived there for more than 2 weeks at a time since. I have always felt that if I were to live at home again, I'd be some sort of failure. In my mind, it is you grow up, you leave, and you make your own way.

Yet, love and family were valued over self-sustainability or individual endeavor. They live in the beauty of a family model that is not restricted to the nuclear family. Their friend living with them is family. They still live together as a household even when a son is married. And love compels them to open their home to a youth pastor and three students getting ready to enter college and treat them as family. That's the kingdom, and that is true hospitality.

After we said our thank yous and our goodbyes, I asked the students to reflect on staying there a bit as we drove away. The student who asked me if we could just crash at my parent's house said, "I'm so glad we came here instead of staying there. It was awesome!" I'm glad they were catching on to the incredible grace they were shown.

My hope and my prayer for myself and my students is that their lives would be open to being hospitable. In a culture were we fortress what we value, we have to learn to be open and value giving what we have to those who are in need.


No comments: